Friday, April 11, 2014

Hearing Loss

Friday 4/11/2014 3:58 AM
I gave tests in each of my classes last week and Monday of this week.  The extra work to correct the tests takes a considerable amount of time.  I usually spend part of my weekend working on grading the tests but last weekend we spent time visiting with friends and enjoying their company and God’s creation together with them.  Most of the week I have had little sleep in order to finish my work and, as usual, my routine has been interrupted and I feel overwhelmed with the busyness of it all.

Urban Holmes writing in his book Spirituality For Ministry describes my life pretty well at this point.  “Many persons, ordained or not, live in a fairly constant state of noise, with their unresolved past and the uncertain present breaking in on them.  They lack a still center and it is only for such a quiet point that we can listen attentively.”  My listening for God’s voice has been nearly nonexistent recently.  The only voice I hear is the clamoring of tests begging to be graded.  It drowns out the voices around me that God is trying to use to increase my capacity to love or those voices he is trying to use to encourage me when I despair.  Either way I lose.

No comments:

Post a Comment