Thursday, June 19, 2014

Dust Lover

Thursday 6/19/2014 5:06 AM
For the past three months I have been experiencing pain in my left shoulder.  It has been getting progressively worse in spite of taking some prescribed anti-inflammatory medication and doing some physical therapy.  It is surprising to me how much I use my left shoulder without really thinking about it in spite of the fact that I am right-handed.  As I age my body seems to be wearing out and this is simply another reminder.  This morning I am scheduled to have an MRI of my left shoulder.  I hope they are able to diagnose the problem and that it is correctible.
My psalm for the week is Psalm 103 and it includes these verses, “…for (God) knows how we are formed, he remembers that we are dust.  The life of mortals is like grass, they flourish like a flower of the field; the wind blows over it and it is gone, and its place remembers it no more.  But from everlasting to everlasting the Lord’s love is with those who fear him, and his righteousness with their children’s children – with those who keep his covenant and remember to obey his precepts.”  These verses are a good reminder for me.  I might be surprised and disappointed by what I see as a decline in my physical abilities but God certainly isn’t surprised.  He knows how I was formed and is aware that what Carl Sagan called stardust is the building material of my body.    He also is keenly aware of my mortality.  Even though I may not like to think about it, God knows that one hundred years from now, at the most, only one or two people will even be aware that I lived.  The good news is that God loves me anyway.  God’s love for me is not determined by my usefulness to him; God’s love is unconditional.

I’m quite certain the MRI I have this morning will show a pinched nerve or something like that.  But even if the results would result in a more serious diagnosis one thing will not change; God loves me regardless of the outcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment