Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Fast from Fast

Wednesday 8/6/2014 5:04 AM
Yesterday I watched a video of a sermon given by a former colleague, Loren Van Woudenberg.    http://player.vimeo.com/video/102537936  In the sermon he spoke of immersing oneself in God to the point where one has intimate knowledge of him and can clearly hear his voice.  It brought back memories of when I experienced that in my own life and, as I listened, I realized that I no longer seek after God with the same intensity I once did.  I wept as I realized what I have been missing over the last few years.

He spoke of fasting from one’s fast pace of life so that one can hear God whispering and I remembered a time when I would turn off the radio in my car so that I could rehearse the passages of scripture I had memorized.  Alas, those days have gone and my time is now consumed with social media, surfing the Internet and watching television.  Earlier this year I gave up social media for Lent.  I think it is time to discipline myself and spend more time with God.  I need to fast from fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment