Monday, September 1, 2014

Pressure Cooker

Monday 9/1/2014 6:24 AM
The opening sentence of the invocation in my devotional book this week is, “Lord Jesus Christ, hasten the day when all of your people may know the joy, peace, and harmony of your kingdom.” The world today bears little resemblance to that kind of joy, peace and harmony and, sadly, it is not often found even within the church. I like to portray joy, peace and harmony to those with whom I have contact but it doesn’t take much effort for me to scrape away the façade and unearth bitterness, resentment and frustration boiling just below the surface. Thankfully I have friends with whom I share my feelings so pressure doesn’t build to an explosive level but it would be nice to be released from root of it all. The opening stanza of a prayer by George MacDonald in Diary of an Old Soul is my prayer today.

O Christ, my life, possess me utterly.
Take me and make a little Christ of me.
If I am anything but thy Father’s son,
’Tis something not yet from the darkness won.
Oh, give me light to live with open eyes.
Of, give me life to hope above all skies.
Give me thy spirit to haunt the Father with my cries.


No comments:

Post a Comment