Monday, September 8, 2014

Tools and Work

Monday 9/8/2014 4:32 AM
My reading today includes Psalm 18. David was a mighty warrior and was successful in many battles. If there were anyone who had a right to be proud of his accomplishments on the battlefield it was he. David could easily have become proud or conceited thinking there were none who could even come anywhere close to his level of skill and accomplishment. However, he recognized the source of his success. Verses 32-36 read, “It is God who arms me with strength and keeps my way secure. He makes my feet like the feet of a deer; he causes me to stand on the heights. He trains my hands for battle; my arms can bend a bow of bronze. You make your saving help my shield, and your right hand sustains me; your help has made me great. You provide a broad path for my feet, so that my ankles do not give way.”
I often complain to my small group that I am irritated when many in the Christian community think that the poor in our society are lazy and simply have to work a little harder to better themselves or better their position in society. There may, or there may not, be some truth to their claim but I want them to recognize that it was not their hard work that got them where they are in the world, it is the grace of God. God gives them health. God gives them a strong work ethic. God placed them in a loving, supporting family structure. God provided them with a job. I could go on.
In my opinion, David had the right perspective. He fought the battles but he recognized that God armed him, protected him, gave him insight, trained him, sustained him and gave him a clear, unobstructed path to follow. Lord, never let me forget that I am the tool and that you use me to do your work in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment