Saturday, November 29, 2014

Joy and Peace

Saturday 11/29/2014 8:07 AM
Psalm 90:14 caught my attention as I read my assigned reading for today. “Satisfy us in the morning with your unfailing love, that we may sing for joy and be glad all our days.” Over the course of the last twenty years it has been my habit to go for an early morning run and then sit for a while and have a time of Bible reading, meditation and prayer. More often than not I receive direction or encouragement during that time of quiet reflection, which gives me the strength, courage and confidence to live my life with abandon. Thinking about the great love of God for me and for the world allows me to live with joy and peace even when the things around me seem to be deteriorating. It brings hope in the midst of hopelessness.
John 17 records Jesus’ prayer the night before he was crucified. He prayed, “Father, the hour has come. Glorify your Son, that your Son may glorify you. For you granted him authority over all people that he might give eternal life to all those you have given him. Now this is eternal life: that they know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent.” I believe that my time of quiet reflection each morning allows me to know God better, which brings with it the joy, peace and hope for which so many long.
The following prayer from the book, Prayer, by O. Hallesby, is my prayer today.
Though I’m but dust, I pray,
Before God standing,
Not asking pleasure’s way,
Nor gold demanding;
But greater things I ask,
From God requesting
No less than that he give
To me that I may live
Life everlasting.
My heart now overflows
With prayers and praises.
My Heavenly Father knows
Each sign that raises
My heart ever nearer to his heart so tender;
For there’s my joy and peace;
In thee I’ve found release,
My soul’s Defender.

No comments:

Post a Comment