Monday, November 24, 2014

When the Light Goes Out

Monday 11/24/2014 4:32 AM
In his book Creation in Christ, George MacDonald writes about the necessity of dying to self in order to fully experience the life of God. He then states, “Friends, those of you who know, or suspect, that these things are true, let us arise and live­ – arise even in the darkest moments of spiritual stupidity, when hope itself sees nothing to hope for. Let us not trouble ourselves about the cause of our earthliness, except we know it to be some unrighteousness in us, but go at once to the Life. Let us comfort ourselves in the thought of the Father and the Son. So long as there dwells harmony, so long as the Son loves the Father with all the love the Father can welcome, all is well with the little ones. God is all right – why should we mind standing in the dark for a minute outside his window? Of course we miss the inness, but there is a bliss of its own in waiting.”

Over the course of the past three days I have heard the same message on different occasions: Wait. I am longing for the feeling of inness that MacDonald describes, of knowing what God wants from me or what he wants me to do specifically. That kind of direct communication has been lacking in my life over the past year or so. Evidently God wants me to stand in the dark for a while. I need to stop and enjoy the solitude, trusting that God continues to work both in me and through me in spite of the silence.

No comments:

Post a Comment