Friday, December 12, 2014

Potluck

Friday 12/12/2014 4:14 AM
Yesterday we had our annual division holiday party. We have a potluck in one of the labs and enjoy each other’s food and company. Some of the retired employees return and friendships are renewed and strengthened. We traditionally give gifts to the office staff, sign cards to thank them for their work for us throughout the year and to wish them happy holidays.
As I was signing the cards of the staff yesterday one of my colleagues was telling me that one of the staff members was an atheist and another had a religion that does not allow her to celebrate anything so I should be careful of what I write in the cards. Unfortunately, I wasn’t careful, choosing instead to wish them a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. I’m pretty sure I could be labeled intolerant in broader society, forcing my views onto others.
I’ve thought about this quite a bit over the course of the last day. If someone wishes me a Happy Hanukkah or Happy Kwanzaa I am not offended, I politely say thank you and feel honored that they took the time to share the joy of their celebration with me. I know I am in the cultural majority, so that may taint my perception, but I struggle to see why I should be careful in sharing the joy of this season of the year. It seems to me that if we live in a culturally diverse community we should take the best of each culture and make it a part of the combined culture. As it is, it seems that we tiptoe around constantly worrying about whom we may offend and lose out on a lot of joy. We do not live in a vacuum of self-centered isolation; we live in a vibrant, people-filled world. It’s like a potluck; we have a lot to appreciate and to share with each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment