Saturday, February 21, 2015

Conditional Joy

Saturday 2/21/2015 5:19 AM
Psalm 126 is my psalm for the week. I read it each morning this week but, today, I noted the first two verses. “When the Lord restored the fortunes of Zion, we were like those who dreamed. Our mouths were filled with laughter, our tongues with songs of joy.” It seems as if the joy being described by the psalmist is conditional, as if their tongues would not be filled with songs of joy had not the Lord restored their fortunes. These verses seem to be a sharp contrast to Philippians 4:4, “Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice!” Another is 1 Thessalonians 5:16, “Be joyful always.”
My life seems to operate more like Psalm 126. When things are going well, then I am joyful; when things go poorly, not so much. Living like the Philippians and the Thessalonian passages suggest seems impossible, a far-fetched dream at best. If I attempted to do so I would feel like a Pollyanna, with my head buried in the sand.
As I contemplated this for a while I decided to read the context of the other passages. Philippians 4 continues, “Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” 1 Thessalonians 5 continues, “Pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.”
The world in which I live is filled with terrible things. Events and circumstances that seem to defy comprehension fill the news reports daily. Random natural disasters wreak havoc in people’s lives. Violence fills our streets with innocents killed by stray bullets. Those who are supposed to love and nurture innocent children, instead, perpetrate unspeakable acts upon them. How can I live with joy in that kind of world? The joy for which I long does not come in a vacuum; it is acquired by an acknowledgment of God’s presence with me, by prayer, and by being thankful. When I recognize God’s presence with me, present my requests for justice and mercy to him through prayer and thankfully recognize his care for me, then he will give me the grace to walk with those who experience the pain and injustices of life, sharing it with them. God’s love for me is meant to be shared with others, helping to alleviate their pain. My love for God can best be expressed through seeking justice for those who are oppressed. I need to remember Jesus’ words to his disciples the night before his crucifixion, “In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” That realization can bring real joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment