Saturday, April 18, 2015

Joy Squelchers

Saturday 4/18/2015 6:53 AM
Yesterday morning I had a meeting at school with some of my colleagues about how to more effectively use technology in our classrooms to enhance student learning. After the meeting I went to my office to attend to some last minute details. When I left my office I noticed two of my colleagues, whose office is across the hall from mine, who were attentively looking at a computer monitor. I walked into their office and said, “It looks like you two are having way too much fun over here. Tone it down a little bit. We have rules about that around here you know.” We shared some laughter and then visited together for a few minutes, expanding upon a discussion topic that came up during our meeting. I eventually wished them a good weekend and left.
This morning I read an excerpt from Good Tidings of Great Joy, by Doris Donnelly, in which she comments on those who squelch joy. The comments I made to my colleagues were made in jest but there are people in our lives that seem to suck the joy out of nearly everything. From what I recall from my childhood the church in which I was raised seemed to be such a place. Worship was somber and serious. I seldom saw smiles on the faces of those attending. Life was seen as a time of suffering in a vale of tears that had to be endured until we died and went to heaven. Joy was something that could only be achieved and enjoyed in the sweet by and by. Those who did seem to enjoy the good things of this life we accused of being too worldly and were often ostracized by the majority.
Donnelly suggests an alternative way of thinking and acting. “Maybe we owe it to ourselves to survey our culpability as squelchers of joy in others and of being part of systems and institutions that do not tolerate, let alone encourage, joy. Maybe we need to redress the balance of somberness by gladdening others with support, kind words, encouragement, laughter, hope, time, and the simple gift of self. It wouldn’t hurt. It could heal. And it would point to that kingdom first heralded by angels who proclaimed the ‘good tidings of great joy’ that went hand in hand with ‘peace on earth.’” I want to be the kind of person she describes.

No comments:

Post a Comment