Sunday, May 10, 2015

God-Honoring Behavior

Sunday 5/10/2015 6:04 AM
A few years ago there was a popular bracelet that many Christians wore containing the letters WWJD. It was meant to be a reminder to ask the question “What would Jesus do?” when faced with a choice.
I spend much of my time trying to determine what God would have me do in various situations. I usually don’t have a specific situation in mind; I simply want to know the most God-honoring way to interact with those with whom I have contact as I go about my daily routine.
My psalm for the week is Psalm 146. It describes the work of God in the world. “He upholds the cause of the oppressed and gives food to the hungry. The Lord sets prisoners free, the Lord gives sight to the blind, the Lord lifts up those who are bowed down, the Lord loves the righteous. The Lord watches over the foreigner and sustains the fatherless and the widow, but he frustrates the ways of the wicked.” If I want to honor God in my life, what better way than by doing what God would do? If I align my behavior with that of God himself I will become the hands of God to those around me: alleviating pain, encouraging the hopeless, seeking justice and freedom for the oppressed, opposing those who would do harm while loving and supporting those who seek righteousness. That’s the kind of person I want to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment