Wednesday, November 4, 2015

The Eyes and Heart of Mercy

Saturday 10/31/2015 7:44 AM
I am only month away from my sixtieth birthday. As I age I have a tendency to become more despondent. It seems that the world is becoming less caring and everything seems to be coming apart at the seams. Any attempt I make to stem this tide seems inconsequential at best.
I have great respect for my brother-in-law and sister-in-law. Their lives have been spent pouring love into the lives of those living on the periphery of society. They have sought to restore justice to those oppressed and have attempted to change the unjust systems that continue to perpetuate the wrongs perpetrated on the weak and powerless. There have been times when their efforts effected the desired change but too often the small steps gained were soon eradicated. They continue on in their retirement doing the same kind of work. I try to emulate their tenacity to the cause but my efforts pale in comparison.
I have engaged in long conversations with them regarding the issues about which they are so passionate. We have never spoken directly of this but I sometimes wonder if they become as discouraged as I do when little to no progress seems to be made toward the goal.
This morning I ran a little later than usual, so I saw a number of people out for their morning exercise. As is my habit, when I meet someone walking, running, or biking I smile and say good morning. It is a small gesture but, since I live in the greater Los Angeles area where any conversation with a stranger is unusual, most people are surprised. As I thought about all the troubling things in the world, sinking deeper into melancholy, I met someone walking. I greeted them with a friendly hello. They smiled, and returned the greeting. I was listening to my music as I ran and the song playing was I Am Not Alone, by Kari Jobe. Immediately after the person returned my greeting these words from the song came into my ears, “In the midst of deep sorrow I see your light is breaking through. The dark of night will not overtake me, I am pressing into you.” It was a reminder that even small gestures like a friendly greeting can express the love of God for a stranger. The love of God expressed in the smallest of gestures shines light into our dark world. After all, Jesus said God’s love is expressed in the offering of a cup of cold water to a stranger.
 The thoughts I had when I ran were reinforced as I sat down for my devotions today. Part of my reading included an essay by Sister Elaine M. Prevallet entitled “Living in Mercy.” She writes, “Surely in the end, after all our righteous judgments on what is wrong with ourselves, each other, and with the world; after we experience injustice intractably resistant to our most devoted efforts, leaving us with our thirst unquenched, our mouths dry and our throats sore from protest; surely in the end the gospel calls us to view the whole of creation, and each other, with the eyes of mercy, and to love it all anyway, with a mercying heart.”
My job in the kingdom of God is not to bemoan what is wrong with myself or with others with whom I have contact. It is not to become discouraged when my efforts to right the wrongs of the world seem to be for naught. My job is to view the world and its numerous inhabitants with the eye of mercy and to love it with a mercying heart.
More and more, as I age, I feel as if the Spirit of God is allowing me to view the world with the eye of mercy but the loving with a mercying heart part is still an uphill battle for me. It is hard for me to know how best to address the wrongs that are so prevalent in the world with love, expressed in concrete actions. Thank God he looks at me with the eye of mercy and loves me with his mercying heart.
May God grant me mercy and guide me, through the working of his Spirit within me, to emulate him.

No comments:

Post a Comment