Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Dull Routine or Glitzy Glamor

Wednesday 1/27/2016 4:47 AM
I read the story of Samuel’s call in 1 Samuel 3 this morning. As a child I remember being impressed that God actually spoke with Samuel personally and gave him a very specific message about Eli, and Eli’s family. Samuel went on to become one of the greatest prophets in Israel. The people of Israel would seek his advice because they assumed he had a direct line to God. The kings of Israel even acknowledged his close relationship with God and sought him out before going into battle or making a decision that had far-reaching consequences for the people of God.
I have always presumed that in those situations Samuel would pray to God and God would answer like he did in the story I read this morning. Today I read to the end of the chapter and neatly tucked away in the last verse are these words, “The Lord continued to appear at Shiloh, and there he revealed himself to Samuel through his word.” That verse seems to imply that the wisdom Samuel dispensed to those seeking the will of God came not from a special revelation in a dream or trance but through Samuel’s familiarity with and knowledge of God’s word.
I long to hear the voice of God speaking from the clouds or by some equally impressive display, telling me what to do or which direction to take. If God chose to speak to one of the greatest prophets of Israel through his word, he will probably do the same with me. The challenge becomes to spend the necessary time reading God’s word so that I can cultivate an understanding of God’s message to me. I pray that I will have the grace to accept the dull routine of regular reading and prayer to hear the voice of God rather than looking for the glitzy, glamorous, message in the clouds.

No comments:

Post a Comment