Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Fair Weather Christian

Wednesday 2/24/2016 5:55 AM
Over the course of the past few weeks my family has experienced some pretty trying circumstances. My grandson, Knox, was hospitalized with RSV and my nephew, Derek, nearly died from H1N1, and is still hospitalized in the ICU. There have been countless prayers offered on their behalf. Knox has recuperated and Derek is currently showing signs of improvement. Since the outcomes and progress has been positive many people are praising and thanking God, including me.
Sometimes I wonder if there would be so much praise expressed and thanks given to God if the outcomes had been negative, if my grandson or nephew had died or become permanently disabled. It is easy to praise God when things go according to our plans but how often do we hear thanks and praise given to God when someone is struck down in an accident or succumbs to an illness?
Isaiah 56:10 says, “‘Though the mountains be shaken and the hills be removed, yet my unfailing love for you will not be shaken, nor my covenant of peace be removed,’ says the Lord who has compassion on you.” I like to measure the love of God by how well my circumstances turn out but God reminds me that his love remains the same regardless of my circumstances. I would like to be able to give praise to God and to remain thankful even in adverse circumstances. I pray that I can pray the words of Job in Job 13:15, “Though he slay me, yet will I hope in him.”

No comments:

Post a Comment